Monday, June 18, 2012

Liquid cooling

There is something about combining fast computers and liquid cooling systems that I have always found interesting, so back when the Nehalem series of processors were announced, I began saving up so that I would be able to build my own system. Slowly I was able to purchase all the necessary parts, and I assembled the computer. When it was finally together I was out of money for the liquid cooling system. After much though and research, I decided I was going to go old school with my liquid cooling setup, and built it using homemade parts, centered around an automotive heater core. I combined the radiator, fans, water pump, and coolant reservoir into one external unit so that I would be able to use it with future PCs simply by purchasing and connecting an appropriate waterblock. The system kept my processor idling at only several degrees above ambient temperature, and allowed stable overclocks to 4.2Ghz. The toggle switches allow me to switch the fans on each side between on, off, and half speed for quieter operation. I wrote an instructable for this project, available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment