Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Anti-theft

In high school, I got my first car: a 1986 nissan pickup. It was white with a black pinstripe, and otherwise unremarkable, but I liked it. Slowly I customized it, adding lowering blocks, bigger rims and low profile tires, a nice radio, and a custom paint job. I was really proud of my little truck, I made it my own using the meager amount of money that I earned at minimum wage. Then, one morning I woke up and it was gone, stolen by some lowlife who apparently liked the rims and radio. I eventually got it back minus the wheels, radio, and speakers, but the thief was kind enough to add some deep scratches in my nice paint and some cigarette ashes. I felt so angry and violated I vowed that day to make the truck un-stealable, short of loading the whole thing onto a flatbed trailer. Thus the RFID security system project was born. I used a microcontroller running the arduino bootloader, some mosfets and relays, and an rfid reader device I purchased online to create this system, and it is still in use today. The rfid reader is hidden within the car and the relays cut power to several critical systems unless an authorized card is detected prior to starting the engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment